Monday, December 30, 2013

Sparkle Discrimination

I love wearing sparkles but it seems to me the only time you can really find a good selection is around the holidays. In fact, when shopping during the past week, sparkles seem to equal a sale. They seem to be so highly associated with the holidays that they really are 'holiday' fashion. But why?

Here's a challenge: find a December AND July issue of any fashion magazine with a fair selection of glittery sparkly goodness. 
My magazine collection consists of Seveenteen, Teen Voque, Voque, and InStyle. I'm pretty use to the cylces from season to season. Spring is flowers, flirty, and showcases the femine style. Summer is, well, summer. Fall is earthy and starting back with layers. Then you have the sparkles and fur. There isn't a lot of wiggle room from those standards. 
This drives me crazy. I love wearing things that stand out and get a little attention. A shimmery piece does that job. But I am always afraid to break a sparkly shirt in, say, June. They aren't really there. Nobody seems to consider it and I think it is time that they do. Maybe some examples are needed here.

To explain, I made two searches on Google Images to see how the selection would change by adding the word 'winter' or 'summer' to the end of 'sparkly clothes' to see how the selection would change. It was huge. I had plenty to choice from with winter, but only a few for summer. Take a look:

Winter:

Summer:
All I found was ebbelishments.

This is unfair. Sparkles should be available to wear year round. But they are on sale so check in to your local stores to see what sparkly goodness you might find. 



No comments:

Post a Comment