Wednesday, June 15, 2016

The Night Circus

I just finished reading The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern and oh my gosh. It was amazing.

If you follow just about any book board on Pintrest or look at books on Tumblr and have not seen this cover floating around, I don't know what to tell you. I saw it on multiple booktube videos and knew that I needed to read it. Luckily, I found it at my local thrift store for an amazing $1.50. It was a steal.



This book is the story of a game between two magicians. When they were children, their teachers bound them to the game. They do not know who their opponent is, what the rules are, or how to win. All they know is that they must learn the works of magic to conquer the other.

Things get a little complicated when the game begins. The venue is a night circus. A night circus is a circus that is only open at night. This is an interesting topic all together. The details of the night circus itself are enchanting.

Morgenstern is imaginative with her details that are put into the story. Many of the details of the circus will blow your mind and make you wish that you could be there. The cool thing about this particular circus is that there are many different tents, not just one big one like a normal circus. Reading about all the different tents was one of my favorite parts of this book.

Normally, I tent to read very realistic stories. However, this fantasy captured my attention. The story is well written yet easy to read. Some of the words are from other languages (Japanese and French I believe) but their meanings are easily implied.

I have a few words of caution before you adventure into reading this book. First, there are multiple points of view. I wish that authors would place the characters name at the top of the chapter because I always have a hard time figuring it out. Second, the story jumps from time period to time period. The years are displayed at the top of each chapter. I never paid much attention to this and caught on quiet quickly to the jumps.

I give this book 4 out of 5 stars. It is definitely a great read. At roughly 500 pages it is a bit of a time investment but for me, it went by quiet quickly. Once you catch on to the story and who the characters are, it is easy to become quite invested.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment