Thursday, February 20, 2014

Books and Fashion

For those of you who didn't know, I am a huge fan of Pintrest. I follow all my favorite stores and often get to see what they currently have in a new way. Instead if looking at prices (a habit if mine) I get to focus just on the clothes. Anyway, Wet Seal has been pinning awesome stuff lately. They have a great store and right now have some nice peasent tops and feminine peibts which are preftect for spring. But what really caught my attention is the exact opposite. This tank top is pratically a cut off as it has raw edges on the sleeves.


Everyone has a fictional character crush. If you don't then please go to the library and pick up a book. Any book. Because this is something that everyone needs. And I don't mean Edward and Jacob. Not even Peeta and Gale. These guys have been forced into a visual appearance deemed attractive by society. Now, I'm not downing Twilight or Hunger Games. I love the Hunger Games. But the male characters in this books have been forced into a specific appearance. One of my goals as a writer is to leave room for my readers to imagine the characters for themselves. I think that leaves room to develop a real fictional crush.
My fictional crush's name is William Hayward from the Eden Trilogy written by Nicole Williams. Now your probably saying that you never heard of it. I really recommend this series to any and every girl. I loved it. It plays with your emotions and involves immortality, fighting, and love. But William is one of the most anazing characters I have ever read about. He is everything a girl could ask for and then some. I really fell for him and, honestly, wanted to steal him from the main character. If you want to read the series and have either Nook or Kindle the first book, Eternal Eden, it is free in both stores.


But you have to address the fact that popular novels do tie into fashion. If you haven't heard about it, The Fault in Our Stars by John Greene is about to become a motion picture. If you haven't  read it, shame on you. You need to go and pick it up sometwhere and read it. The cover has been adapted into a print replucates on tshirts and hoodies. It is not a picture of the characters. It has meaning.



Another connection writing and fashion have involves Polyvore. Polyvore allows you to create collages and outfits with a HUGE library of clothing to choose from. On multiple writing sites that I have been on, writers make that connection from a collage to help the reader visualize what the character is wearing. After all, a persons clothing defines everything from personality to time period. For example, I have been digging around in 90's trends to dress my main character.
Fashion has many connections to the World that we sometimes overlook. Books are just one example of how clothes control the world we live in. And you thought your smartphone was in charge.

No comments:

Post a Comment